Waikiki Get Down - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
City Concludes Internal Review Into Honolulu Liquor Administration, Unveils Findings And Recommendations
City concludes Internal Review into Honolulu Liquor Administration, Unveils Findings and Recommendations
HONOLULU -- Mayor Rick Blangiardi announced today the findings of a comprehensive internal review into the practices and procedures of the Honolulu Liquor Commission's enforcement system. This review was aimed at addressing concerns and ensuring the highest standards of integrity and accountability within the agency.
"One of my greatest responsibilities as Mayor is to ensure the highest standards of transparency, accountability, and fairness in our city's institutions. The findings of this internal review have revealed the need for significant improvements within the agency's operation," said Mayor Rick Blangiardi. "These findings are disturbing and unacceptable and we must restore trust in the agency. We will be implementing comprehensive reforms to ensure the commission operates in a manner that is ethical, accountable, and consistent with the values we hold dear as a community."
The internal systems review, initiated by the Managing Director and authorized by the Honolulu Liquor Commission in February 2023 was carried out by a dedicated team led by Hui Chen, strategic advisor to the Managing Director. An internationally renowned leader in ethics and compliance. Ms. Chen's mandate was to conduct a thorough review of the enforcement operations, including processes, activities and internal procedures.
The key findings include:
• Lack of clear policies, procedures and methodologies to guide Enforcement practices
• Lack of structured training and clear performance evaluation criteria
• Paper-based activities tracking systems create inefficiencies and inaccuracies
• Lack of reliable data prevents ability to use data to ensure consistency and to monitor enforcement activities
• Lack of a system or processes to track and investigate complaints against staff hinder timely and meaningful response to complaints
• Technology upgrades to enable GPS-based activities tracking and randomized inspections
• Bring in trainers experienced in liquor enforcement to provide much needed training
• Policy, procedures, and Liquor Rules update and revisions
• Implement centralized complaint-tracking system
• Public engagement through open houses, surveys, neighborhood meetings
The Managing Director and Mayor extend their gratitude to Ms. Chen and her team for their diligent work in conducting the internal review. The findings and recommendations from this internal review will serve as the foundation for the agency's ongoing efforts to strengthen its operations and effectively fulfill its regulatory responsibilities.
To view the results of the report click here.
Stay connected with Mayor Rick Blangiardi on social media:
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
Check out things to do in Waikiki, Hawaii on the calendar of events.
- News and Newsletters
Keep up with the latest news and happenings in the Waikiki, Hawaii community.
- Waikiki, Hawaii Featured Pages
View our directory of feature pages showcasing all the great things Waikiki has to offer.
- Featured Sponsors Offers
Great offers from our sponsors who support the Waikiki, Hawaii Community More...
- Waikiki, Hawaii Coupons & Discounts
Save money in Waikiki, Hawaii with these coupons.
- About Waikiki - Honolulu Hawaii
Learn about Waikiki, Hawaii.
- About Waikiki Get Down.com
Learn about WaikikiGetDown.com website and its creator.